Want to be a Fashion Designer?
If you an aspiring Fashion Designer, this article will guide you in the best way on how to become a Fashion Designer. This step by step career guide has been designed keeping in mind the design of the candidate’s Fashion Designing.
This article focuses on this topic – How to Become a Fashion Designer in India? Let’s have a look:
How to Become a Fashion Designer?
Fashion Design is the art of designing clothes and their accessories. Fashion Designers sketch design plans.
Fashion Designing is not limited to knitting fabrics! Fashion Designers do research on fashion trends. They pay attention to the latest trends and meet the needs of their audience.
Here are some of the important works done by Fashion Designers –
– Research on the latest fashion trends (Research on latest fashion trends)
– Research on consumer behavior
– Designing, Sketching, and Planning
It is not uncommon for fashion designers to hire other jobs, some of the professionals who work under fashion designers have been given the following –
Fashion Designers keep information about clothes, colors, apparel, texture, pattern making, fashion trends, weaving and sewing techniques, sewing equipment, fashion retailing and business etc.
There is a belief that it is necessary to be creative in order to proceed in this field. Yes, creativity in this field is an essential thing to move forward. But it is also necessary to do a professional course related to fashion designing!
Here are some qualities needed to move forward in the area of Fashion Designing –
– Technical knowledge (textile designing, garments etc)
– Good tailoring skills
– Good drawing skills
– Good eyes (Eye for detail)
– Keen interest in the latest fashion trends
– Good business skills (business, cost management, accounting etc) (Good business acumen (merchandising, cost management, accounting etc)
– Networking skills
Some people can say that it is not possible to become a fashion designer without going through any professional course. But formal training will definitely help in obtaining insights in this field, but formal training will not help in creating a rewarding career.
There are three main Fashion Designing Courses.
Degree Courses in Fashion Designing
Diploma Courses in Fashion Designing
Certificate Courses in Fashion Designing
Steps to becoming a Fashion Designer in India
– Select Fashion Design Course
– Select the Best College among several Best Fashion Design Colleges in India
– Complete eligibility criteria
– Secure Access
– Complete the academic program
– Career Prospects
Recommendations for Becoming a Fashion Designer in India
I would recommend to my readers a good bachelor’s degree or diploma course. Such courses will help in getting a good job. Apart from this, after following these courses, going for higher education (advanced courses) will be relatively easy.
Select Fashion Design Course
Here are some excellent degrees and diploma fashion designing courses in India –
– Bachelor of Fashion Technology
– Bachelor of Fashion Design
– B.Des. Fashion Design
– B.Des. Leather Design
– B.Des. Textile Design
– B.Des. Accessory Design
– B.Des. Fashion Communication
– B.Des. Knitwear Design
– Bachelor Degree in Retail and Fashion Merchandise
– Diploma in Fashion Technology
– Diploma in Fashion Design
– Diploma in Apparel Design
– Diploma in Jewelry Design
– Diploma in Fashion Photography
– Diploma in Retail Merchandising
– Diploma in Leather Design
– Diploma in Textile Design
– Diploma in Visual Merchandising
Complete Eligibility Criteria in pursuing Fashion Designing Courses
All Fashion Designing Courses has its own eligibility criteria. To secure entry, you must be academically qualified to pursue that special course. There are 10 + 2 pass eligibility criteria in the case of some of the courses mentioned above. Eligibility criteria can vary from one course to another.
The prestigious institutions rely on merit-based admissions procedures. Eligible candidates are allotted seat based on the marks made by them in the combination of both the entrance examination and board examination.
Here are some relevant fashion designing entrance exams –
– NIFT Entrance Exam
– NID Entrance Exam
Complete the academic program
In the fashion designing curriculum, there is a composite mix of classroom lectures and practical knowledge.
There are plenty of job opportunities available in front of fashion designers. Some of the major recruits are:
– Fashion retailers
– Apparel manufacturing companies
– Clothing manufacturing companies
– TV and Film production houses
– Government handloom departments
Entrepreneurship also offers an excellent opportunity in front of fashion designers. They can work as an independent fashion designer, consultant, dressmaker or retailer.